Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Trick or Throw

This week our theme at St.Marys was Halloween! Many people dressed up using their creative minds and had some really great costumes. I decided to dress up as a baseball player. I thought that it was a good idea since we were introducing the throwing unit. I had a couple holes in my pants which I quickly joked around and said iI was a zombie baseball player and the kids really liked that. I had the middle schoolers for my lab and they were quite the handful. We started outside and they were playing kickball. I learned fast that you can't talk to them as if you were talking to a kid at a younger level. I remember when I was in middle school and to be honest I was a little mouthy myself. When we got inside there wasn't that many kids so we had to do the best with what we had. As soon as we got inside they all started doing their own thing and not really paying attention so I ended up using a technique saying that If they played my game first they can get back to what they were doing. I based my game on an actual sport (baseball) and made them do various forms of throwing with different balls. They enjoyed that because they were at the age of knowing how to do the tasks at hand and wanted to throw the balls even harder and further which made me happy because I could extend the game as much as I wanted. Without Professor Yang there I think the Grad Assistants did a wonderful job and we'll be excellent teachers soon. Now it's time to get ready for the next lab!

No comments:

Post a Comment